Informing Hawaii's voters
Submitted by Guest on Sat, 05/07/2016 - 02:52
Hawaii Political Info introduction: Three Ron Paul campaign officials have been found guilty by a federal jury of breaking laws while running the Ron Paul 2012 campaign. Jesse R. Benton was and is married to Ron Paul's granddaughter and was widely despised by Ron Paul's otherwise enthusiastic supporters.
Department of Justice Office of Public Affairs
May 5, 2016
Three members of a 2012 presidential campaign committee were convicted by a federal jury in Des Moines, Iowa, on all counts of an indictment charging the concealment of campaign expenditures made to secure the endorsement of an Iowa State Senator.
Assistant Attorney General Leslie R. Caldwell of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division and Assistant Director in Charge Paul M. Abbate of the FBI’s Washington Field Office made the announcement.
“Concealing and falsely reporting campaign expenditures undermines the integrity and transparency of the federal election process,” said Assistant Attorney General Caldwell. “When political operatives secretly buy an elected official’s political support, it undermines public confidence in our entire political system.”
“Violating campaign finance transparency laws by falsifying expenditure records and reports deceives the public and facilitates corruption,” said Assistant Director in Charge Abbate. “The FBI will aggressively investigate those who corrupt the integrity of our democratic process. I want to thank the special agents, analysts and prosecutors who worked diligently to see this case through to today’s result.”
Jesse R. Benton, 38, of Louisville, Kentucky, and John M. Tate, 53, of Warrenton, Virginia, were convicted of conspiracy, causing false records to obstruct a contemplated investigation, causing the submission of false campaign expenditure reports to the Federal Election Commission (FEC) and engaging in a scheme to make false statements to the FEC. Dimitrios N. Kesari, 50, of Leesburg, Virginia, was convicted of the same offenses, except causing false campaign expenditure reports, for which he was previously convicted by a jury in a separate trial in October 2015.
Chief Judge John A. Jarvey of the Southern District of Iowa noted that he would schedule sentencing for a later date.
The defendants were the senior leadership of a campaign for a candidate in the 2012 presidential election. According to the indictment, former Iowa State Senator Kent Sorenson initially supported one candidate in the 2012 presidential election, but between October and December 2011, negotiated with the defendants to switch his support to their candidate in exchange for money. On December 28, 2011, at a political event in Des Moines, Iowa, Sorenson publicly announced his switch of support.
Evidence at trial proved that the campaign expenditures to Sorenson were made in monthly installments of approximately $8,000 each and ultimately amounted to over $70,000. The defendants concealed the payments by causing them to be recorded – both in campaign accounting records and in FEC filings – as campaign-related audio-visual expenditures, and by causing them to be transmitted to a film production company and then to a second company that was controlled by Sorenson. The conspirators concealed their campaign’s payments to Sorenson from their candidate and also from the FEC, the FBI, and the public.
Trial evidence showed that in response to criticism of Sorenson’s change of support from one candidate to the other, the conspirators arranged for Sorenson to issue public statements denying allegations that he was offered money for his endorsement and noting that the campaign committee’s FEC filings would show that it made no payments to Sorenson.
On August 27, 2014, Sorenson pled guilty to causing a campaign committee to falsely report its expenditures to the FEC and to obstruction of justice. He has not yet been sentenced.
The case is being investigated by the FBI’s Washington Field Office, with assistance from the Omaha, Nebraska, Field Office and the Des Moines Resident Agency. The case is being prosecuted by Director Richard C. Pilger of the Criminal Division’s Public Integrity Section’s Election Crimes Branch, Deputy Chief J.P. Cooney, and Trial Attorney Jonathan I. Kravis.
Submitted by Guest on Fri, 05/06/2016 - 23:37
The Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity
by Adam Dick
April 29, 2016
As of Thursday, the Hawaii legislature approved a resolution that directs the Hawaii Legislative Reference Bureau to “conduct a study on the potential impact on state government of decriminalizing the illegal possession of drugs for personal use” in the state.
By itself a study does nothing to end the drug war. But, spreading decriminalization beyond marijuana to all drugs is a big step, and a study could help prepare the way for taking that big step. Now that many state and local governments have taken on the easier marijuana prohibition battle, might Hawaii lead against the rest of drug prohibition?
Above passage excerpted from Five Minutes Five Issues: War Spending, Hawaii Drugs, Sanders Delegates, 28 Pages, Hastert Sentencing
Submitted by Guest on Fri, 05/06/2016 - 22:27
by Glenn Greenwald & Zaid Jilani
Trying to predict the future can be fun, which is why — from office sports pools to stock market speculation — many do it. Generally, though, people make such predictions with at least some humility: with the knowledge that they do not actually know what the future holds.
But not America’s beloved political pundits. When they pronounce what the future has in store for us, it comes in the form of definitive decrees, shaped with the tone of authoritative certainty. With a few exceptions, those who purported to see the future of the 2016 GOP nomination process spent many months categorically assuring everyone that, polls notwithstanding, Donald Trump simply could not, would not, become the GOP nominee; one could spend all day posting humiliating examples, so a representative sampling will have to suffice:
Read more . . .
Submitted by Guest on Thu, 05/05/2016 - 23:33
Submitted by Pat Beekman on Thu, 05/05/2016 - 03:09
Kaname Harada, Ford Island, Hawaii, June 4, 2010
Kaname Harada, 99, died in Nagano, Japan, on May 3 (Monday, May 2 in the U.S.) from multiple organ failure. He was the last living WWII Zero pilot who had taken part in the Pearl Harbor attack. His role gave him an up-close, personal and graphic look at the horrors of war. Concerned that so many of the younger generations looked upon war as little more serious than a video game, he had spent his later years working for peace. He was last in Hawaii in 2010 to take part, along with some of his fellow WWII Japanese veterans, in the Battle of Midway commemoration. Because of their advanced age, it was the last they were to make as a group participating in the annual ceremonies here. The talk he gave urged peace.
Kaname was an ace who fought in battles that have gone down in history, including helping to shoot up the USS Panay in China. That 1937 action almost touched off war with the U.S. He said they were looking for the biggest boat to attack among the many in the same vicinity on the Yangtze River near Nanking when they spotted the Panay, not realizing until too late that it was American. His superiors read him and his fellow pilots the riot act and pulled them from their usual flying duties for a while.
Later Harada was part of the Pearl Harbor attack force, flying cover for the Japanese fleet during the attack. Months later he fought in the Battle of Midway, an absolute disaster for the Japanese when all four carriers were sunk by the U.S., leaving all planes in the air with nowhere to land. Subsequently he fought at Guadalcanal.
He was a giant among men, a persuasive voice for peace. The world can't afford to lose him, but at 99 we are fortunate that he was with us as long as he was.
The New York Times ran a story last year about one of Kaname's last public talks, "Retired Japanese Fighter Pilot Sees an Old Danger on the Horizon."
Kaname Harada Describes the Battle of Midway [Hawaii Political Info] Jun 6, 2010
Kaname Harada, Pearl Harbor Fighter Pilot and, Later, Remorseful Pacifist, Dies at 99 [The New York Times] May 6, 2016
Submitted by Guest on Mon, 05/02/2016 - 21:26
by Ron Paul
May 1, 2016
Last week the House Armed Services Committee approved an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act requiring women to register with Selective Service. This means that if Congress ever brings back the draft, women will be forcibly sent to war.
The amendment is a response to the Pentagon’s decision to allow women to serve in combat. Supporters of drafting women point out that the ban on women in combat was the reason the Supreme Court upheld a male-only draft. Therefore, they argue, it is only logical to now force women to register for Selective Service. Besides, supporters of extending the draft point out, not all draftees are sent into combat.
Most of those who opposed drafting women did so because they disagreed with women being eligible for combat positions, not because they opposed the military draft. Few, if any, in Congress are questioning the morality, constitutionality, and necessity of Selective Service registration. Thus, this debate is just another example of how few of our so-called “representatives” actually care about our liberty.
Some proponents of a military draft justify it as “payback” for the freedom the government provides its citizens. Those who make this argument are embracing the collectivist premise that since our rights come from government, the government can take away those rights whether it suits their purposes. Thus supporters of the draft are turning their backs on the Declaration of Independence.
While opposition to the draft is seen as a progressive or libertarian position, many conservatives, including Ronald Reagan, Barry Goldwater, and Robert Taft, were outspoken opponents of conscription. Unfortunately, the militarism that has led so many conservatives astray in foreign policy has also turned many of them into supporters of mandatory Selective Service registration. Yet many of these same conservatives strongly and correctly oppose mandatory gun registration. In a free society you should never have to register your child or your gun.
Sadly, some opponents of the warfare state, including some libertarians, support the draft on the grounds that a draft would cause a mass uprising against the warfare state. Proponents of this view point to the draft’s role in galvanizing opposition to the Vietnam War. This argument ignores that fact that it took several years and the deaths of thousands of American draftees for the anti-Vietnam War movement to succeed.
A variation on this argument is that drafting women will cause an antiwar backlash as Americans recoil form the idea of forcing mothers into combat. But does anyone think the government would draft mothers with young children?
Reinstating the draft will not diminish the war party’s influence as long as the people continue to believe the war propaganda fed to them by the military-industrial complex’s media echo chamber. Changing the people’s attitude toward the warfare state and its propaganda organs is the only way to return to a foreign policy of peace and commerce with all.
Even if the draft could serve as a check on the warfare state, those who support individual liberty should still oppose it. Libertarians who support violating individual rights to achieve a political goal, even a goal as noble as peace, undermine their arguments against non-aggression and thus discredit both our movement, and, more importantly, our philosophy.
A military draft is one of—if not the—worst violations of individual rights committed by modern governments. The draft can also facilitate the growth of the warfare state by lowering the cost of militarism. All those who value peace, prosperity, and liberty must place opposition to the draft at the top of their agenda.
Copyright © 2016 by the Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity
Submitted by Guest on Wed, 04/27/2016 - 22:00
Submitted by Guest on Wed, 04/27/2016 - 20:07
Hawaii Political Info introduction: An effective war strategy when a country's leaders are determined to wage war is to get the other side to strike the first blow so that public condemnation goes to that party and the actual instigator is looked upon as an innocent victim who must bravely fight to defend itself. Among the many examples in history, the U.S. did it in WWII and Israel did it in the 1967 War, although in that case Israel found it more expedient to attack first while lying and saying the other side struck the first blow, knowing that Americans would believe the chosen ones over a bunch of perceived (at the time) primitive, dimwitted and weird-looking ragheads.
With the Jewish domination of the American press and key bought-off and credulous U.S. government officials, Israel, as expected, got by with the lie. How did Israel know the lie would be successful? Because it had had plenty of previous practice with other lies fed to the credulous public, particularly Zionist Christians, who apparently get a lot of satisfaction in believing in fairy tales if linked to a so-called biblical prophecy.
When the truth about Israel striking the first blow finally and slowly leaked out, without attention being called to the fact that at the time in 1967 America was told that Israel was attacked first by a coalition of warmongering Arabs, there was little to no outcry from the short-memory American public.
by Manlio Dinucci
Global Research, April 27, 2016
In-depth Report: Nuclear War
Nuclear Weapons And Interceptor Missiles: Twin Pillars Of U.S.-NATO Military Strategy In Europe
The United States feigned surprise during the simulation of an attack by the Russian aviation against the USS Donald Cook in the Baltic Sea. And yet, as we have reported, Russia already has the capacity to block the ship’s Communications & Commands, and did so, observes Manlio Dinucci, because the ship was in the process of violating the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF). Furthermore, the US nuclear deployment occurred as China is developing hypersonic launchers, a part of whose trajectory will be in glide mode, inspiring new research by DARPA. As from now, Raytheon and Lockheed Martin are participating in the Tactical Boost Glide Program.
The White House is «preoccupied» because Russian fighters flew over a US ship at very close range in the Baltic Sea, making a «simulated attack» – as reported by our news agencies. However, they did not inform us as to which ship it was, nor why it was in the Baltic Sea.
In fact, it was the USS Donald Cook, one of the four missile-launching units deployed by the US Navy for the «defence of NATO missiles in Europe». These units, which are to be increased in number, are equipped with the Aegis radar system and SM-3 interceptor missiles, but also with double-capacity Tomahawk cruise missiles, both conventional and nuclear. In other words, they are nuclear attack units equipped with a «shield» designed to neutralise the enemy riposte.
Read more . . .
Aaron Russo, Nick Rockefeller and the Council on Foreign Relations
One-Page Summary of The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion
Submitted by Guest on Wed, 04/27/2016 - 02:32
By Patrick J. Buchanan
April 21, 2016
In Samuel Eliot Morison’s “The Oxford History of the American People,” there is a single sentence about Harriet Tubman.
“An illiterate field hand, (Tubman) not only escaped herself but returned repeatedly and guided more than 300 slaves to freedom.”
Morison, however, devotes most of five chapters to the greatest soldier-statesman in American history, save Washington, that pivotal figure between the Founding Fathers and the Civil War — Andrew Jackson.
Read more . . .
Submitted by Guest on Mon, 04/25/2016 - 16:47